Welcome to the New-Born World

Discovering A New Reading Society

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Comedy in a Minor Key

Comedy in a Minor Key
Blog Post

In the book, "Comedy in a Minor Key" by Hans Keilson, there was a couple who was nice enough to allow Nico, a Jew who had no where to go, to live in their house and stay like a hideout place. This story is not full of comedy and as a matter of fact, it holds more tragedies because afterwards, Nico ends up dying from a disease. The couple, Wim and Marie showed great bravery because of hiding a random Jew and risking their lives (possible to face consequences) because they live in a place where tit is controlled by the Nazis. I feel that the setting and time period showed great importance in the story. Without this, the whole story couldn't even take place. This story is also a bit similar to the story of Anne Frank's.

Firstly, the couple lived in a place where there were neighbors in all directions of their house. If the neighbors saw Nico, the couple could be killed for helping. I wouldn't be able to be like them and take chances to danger my life. They could not have predicted how long this mass murder with the Jews would last. It will stain their lives if they were caught doing such an "uncivilized" thing. The horrors they faced are just like the real event where Jews were quickly being eliminated. The setting is significant because it showed reality and represents the real scene. It showed how people felt during that time period. This story couldn't have occur without the Nazis occupation.

Secondly, the book is sort of similar to Anne Frank's life, although they were not arrested. She faces situations that were alike; for example, she also had to hide to escape from the Nazis persecution. Their family had to live secretly and have others to provide them with food and supplies because it would put them in jeopardy if they were to be discovered. They were arrested and brought to camp later on. Most of the people were dead from diseases. Nico was lucky that he hasn't been discovered but diseases were spreading like wild fire and he soon too, caught pneumonia.

I feel that it was generous of the Dutch couple to help someone that they hardly know because they are completely putting their lives in danger. They are just ordinary people, probably in the middle social class or lower but they still took the Jew in. They even had to help get rid of his body after his death. If I were to be in their shoes, I would probably get a broom and kick Nico out because I don't want to become a victim of the government. I won't take chances to get my family dead just to help a dude who has no blood relationship with me. It's cruel but this is reality. I guess I just can't be as courageous as them so blame Hitler.

Therefore, I believe that this story clearly shows the horrors at that time period. Many people would probably be able to relate to it. I feel that the author did a great job in describing the event with the characters. Keilson was in the Dutch resistance group during the war, which made it easier and more believable for him to write such a strong story. His experiences enriches the book and allowed the setting and characters to seem more interesting.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your blog post, Hou In! You did a really good job of adding details from the book to back-up all of your beliefs. I also like how you related Nico's story to Anne Frank's, and how you expressed what you would have done if you were in the couple's shoes. This sounds like a book I would enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete