Question #7
& Connecting Annotations:
p48 “Freak on Max’s shoulder, connected and together. They kind of rely on one another.”
p77 “With the teacher just helplessly staring as classmates teases him, Freak sort of acts like his mother. It’s him protecting Max, and Max being protected.”
P131 “Freak declaring “battle” with Killer Kane is pretty much like a midget fighting a giant or a baby verses an adult. Even after knowing this, Freak still dares to act against him in such way.”
What really keeps a newly-born friendship, steady? After reading Freak the Mighty, by Rodman Philbrick, I paused to think as I connect these previously scattered annotations together. The story revolves around Max, who was forced to learn to be alone until Kevin, also known as Freak, brightens his whole life. It seems to be more difficult to have a reliable and meaningful friendship then I had thought it was. It takes more effort than just chatting together and enjoying the times of your life with each other. You may be living your entire life looking for such friend, but not find anything. It takes a lot of trust to maintain this connection. Max and Freak value it more than anybody else. The annotations proved that they care for each other like family members . This type of friendship is quite limited, and I strongly feel that Philbrick had a point to back up through their relationship.
Purposely, I strongly believe that Philbrick is trying to tell us readers that if you are true friends with someone, then you should always watch their backs. Be their first supporters, be there for one another. It’s the requirements. The unchangeable theory. If you fail to complete that task, then I guess they can't really be the "family" type of friends. Also, Philbrick wanted to tell people how two are better than one. You feel more powerful with more people. One can help the other overcome their obstacles. I can tell that the author is trying to say that in order to have a life giving friendship, you must be daring enough to risk your own life for that other person.
These similar annotations mention about Max and Kevin supporting and helping one another. You can say that they act as sticks to help guide both sides. For example, when Freak declared at Killer Kane, “put your hands up, villain!”…"I’m warning you," he was trying to rescue Max from that "kidnapper” who was bigger than triple his size. He was daring and has the guts to do anything he can to save his best friend, even if he had to risk his life. Nothing is risk-free. He was not scared to face the future challenges, because they are watching each others' backs. This idea is repeated throughout the book, making me think that trusting and supporting a friend just for that purpose is an important theme throughout the whole story. You feel stronger when you have someone by your side because you know you’re not alone. They stay by your side so that you don’t feel weak.
Having a steady relationship with someone and leaving your lives in their hands requires a lot of courage. This can help maintain the trusty connection needed between one other. “Order!”…”Order in the court! Let justice be heard!” Freak also said in order to stop the classmates from humiliating Max. The teachers dealt with the problem with silence, but instead, Freak stuck up for him. Isn’t this what friends are for? The annotations basically has this sort of idea mixed in it, since it's about friends backing up for each other.
I’ve also realized that if I were to be a character in this book, I think I would probably be Gram. She’s more like the shapeshifter of the story, who is uncertain of her opinions on Max. Sometimes, she would think about Max as the grandson she had loved. Sometimes, she’s terrified at Max and how he’s becoming to look more like his dad who had murdered his own wife. It’s complicated. I’m pretty doubtful when making decisions too. I can’t make up my mind either. She isn’t good or bad. Gram and I are quite similar since I lack certainty. If I were to be in her shoes, I would probably be afraid of Max more than love him, because generally, I would only look at the facts scattered on the outside. After all, I can’t “read” people’s minds in real life, so I am able to understand her situation. It's not her fault. She felt guilty too. That's life.
Thinking back now, when my eyes shifted to the title, Freak the Mighty, I felt that this has to be some sort of horror mixed with mystery type of book. But now, I feel that the title kind of symbolizes the closeness of their friendship and how they needed each other so much that they just “had” to combine into one new person. With Max doing the walking and Freak doing the brain work, they are invincible. Without one another, they would be no one. No body. Freak the Mighty won't exist. They accepted each others' weaknesses to create their new self. This reminds me of the time when people asked for Freak’s name. He would say, “Sometimes I am Kevin. Sometimes I’m more than Kevin.” He and Max together is Freak the Mighty. It is the connection that ties both of them together.
Overall, Philbrick made me notice the importance of friendship and how it can affect someone so much. This type of friendship can only be maintained if both sides are equality supporting each other. When you’re happy, you want to share the news with them. When you’re sad, you want them to comfort you. When you’re mad, you want them to listen to your complaints. It’s mandatory for true friends to automatically be by your side. How can you live without a friend to rely on?
amazing. i love how you use quotes and the page number
ReplyDeleteI like how you really get into the mind of the author and interpret his thoughts with your own. Very insightful.
ReplyDeleteThanks. I really appreciate it.
ReplyDeleteI agree when you said,"...that if you are true friends with someone, then you should always watch their backs." If you are really someone's friend then you should be there when they need help. You should be there to catch them if they fall.
ReplyDelete