Welcome to the New-Born World

Discovering A New Reading Society

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Protagonist: Self to Text

The Protagonist:
Self to Text Connections


I have just started to read the book, "Kiki Strike Inside the Shadow City", by Kristen Miller, which started off with Ananka Fishbein discovering an underground city near her house. I infer that she has a strong personality and thinks that girls are no less than boys. She is the protagonist that controls what will happen in the story. Ananka feels that other people always looks down on her, like she's too weak to handle something serious. She takes advantage of being a girl to prove to others that she can do the same, actually more, than what boys can do. I can sort of understand why she feels this way.

First of all, I can connect with Ananka, because I also feel that people often underestimates girls for what they can do. She thinks. "No one takes you seriously? Let people believe what they want to believe, and the element of surprise will always work in your favor." She basically means that girls could surprise others by doing what they least expected. If you're poor at sports, surprise the boys by beating the "crap" out of them. "If they assume you're stupid, you'll out-think them every time." I agree with her, because guys treat girls like weaklings. They have low expectations on them. I know why she thinks this way because people tends to think that girls "couldn't possibly understand" when they say secrets in front of them. Girls should take use of this and surprise them by letting them change their perspectives on them. You can take advantage of staying invisible and collect secrets that could be used against them. I feel that Ananka's strong personality is similar to mines because of what she believes.

Second of all, she feels that girls should take use of their ability to "hide almost anywhere...disappear into any crowd." They could do more than what others could do. Boys aren't necessarily the best. For example, girls could hide in disguise. They could easily change their looks with just a brush. They could quickly hide their flaws with makeups. They could escape and hide into places that others couldn't see. I can connect with Ananka because she says that others refuse to acknowledge girls because of what they think previously. But you could also take advantage of being a girl. We should fight for ourselves and surprise them with our possible strength to change their views.

And finally, I can conclude that both of us thinks the same way. We shouldn't be considered weak just because of our ability to do things. Of course, we can take advantage of this sometimes and out-think them. We could surpass their ability if we try. There are times when people think that girls are "too sweet and innocent" to know anything. But what they don't know is that we can all hear what they say. I believe that people should not underestimate what little girls can do. In conclusion, Our thoughts are alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment