Welcome to the New-Born World

Discovering A New Reading Society

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Blog Review

Blog Review

After reading Francesca Woodbridge's post on the book "It's Kind of a Funny Story" written by Ned Vizzini, I was able to understand more about "people" in general. According to the text, the main character Craig lives through a harsh life that forces him to want to commit suicide. I've seen many blog posts on the same book and I feel that this one stands out most from others because she elaborated deeply on the author's messages. She also made me want to read the book even though the ending was already spoiled, because of her passion in writing it. In all, I strongly believe that Francesca did well on her post because it was outstandingly detailed with supporting evidences to back up her point.

To start off, I think she did a remarkable job because instead of just writing summaries, she included the story's lessons and what should be right to do. I like how she said "to not bottle up our feelings, and don’t try to live with a problem, try to solve it". It's like how if you fill a bottle with too much water, then it would explode and spill all over the place. That's why you should stop before things get worse. She makes me think that you shouldn't keep your feelings inside of you. Covering it up with laughter and jokes won't help to save you from depression. When you're troubled, you should express your thoughts with someone you are comfortable with. People are creatures who always hide themselves from the rest of the world, which should be prevented. Francesca made a point about how telling the truth can make you feel better, therefore can avoid depression.

Second of all, the post made me want to read the book because I feel that Craig is facing troubles deciding between life or death, which many people can relate to it. We always escape from our problem and pretend that they don't exist to look strong in front of everyone else. But that's not right because these problems will pile up and eventually become visible. Leaving it unsolved won't make a change.

She brought up the point that "Craig’s parents said if he told them that he really wanted to kill himself, they could have done something about it. I, myself, did not understand why Craig did not tell his parents that he wanted to commit suicide, because you could tell that he didn’t want to keep feeling what he was feeling". I disagree because I might have done what Craig did at first too. Talking to my parents about a serious matter makes me nervous and I know that they don't think the same way as I do. I am the type of person that don't want my parents to be tied up too close to my life. But thinking now, I feel that talking to your parents should be your first option. What's the point of worrying every day when it could be solved by spending some time with someone you know well and sharing your thoughts with them?

Briefly, I think Francesca's post is strong and structured clearly. She did well in putting details together with the author's message. It made me think more deeply about life and changed my opinions on what is right. It seems like an interesting book that should be good to read. I like the voice she puts into it and overall, I believe that the post was written meaningfully with passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment